IF YOU HAVE A COLD, this simple but powerful dinner is guaranteed to help you get through it.
WARM, COMFORTING CHILI combines the anti-inflammatory properties of onion, garlic and chili pepper, as well as the nutrients from several vegetables and organic beef (skip the beef for a cheaper or vegetarian alternative). Sweet potato is super healthy, and in this dish it is super simple to make by baking (poaching) it in the oven!
IF YOU DON’T HAVE AN OVEN, or don’t have much time, you can cook the sweet potato for 20 minutes instead of baking it, or you can replace sweet potato all together with store-bought corn tortilla chips. When the chili is done, simply dip & scoop from a big bowl with the tortilla chips!
Chili Con Carne with Sweet Potato
Prep time 40 minutes. Serves 2.
Sweet potato, 2 big (or 4 smaller), or 100g tortilla chips
Beef, 200g, minced
Red chili pepper, 1 finely chopped
Onion, 1 large (or 2 medium), diced
Garlic, 2 cloves, minced
Tomato paste, 200ml
Zucchini, 1 small one (or half large one), diced
Carrot, 1, diced
Kidney beans, 150g, cooked
Cumin powder (djenten), 1 teaspoon
Paprika powder to taste
Oven dish and butter to coat it (or use baking paper)
1. PRE-HEAT THE OVEN TO 180 degrees Celsius. Place sweet potatoes in butter coated oven dish, poke them with a fork a few times and let bake for about 45 minutes (40-50 minutes depending on their size) until soft. [Skip this step if using tortilla chips instead of sweet potato.]
2. IN A BIG PAN, fry the minced beef (without oil) until it is brownish.
3. ADD ONION AND CARROTS, heat for another 5 minutes, stirring occassionally. Add some oil if the mixture gets dry.
4. ADD ZUCCHINI AND CHILI PEPPER. Stir for another 5 minutes.
5. ADD TOMATO PASTE TO THE PAN. Let simmer on low heat until both the carrot and zucchini have softened (about 10-15 minutes).
6. LASTLY, ADD KIDNEY BEANS and heat until they have just warmed up. Now your chili con carne is done!
SERVE THE CHILI WITH BAKED SWEET POTATO (topping off with sour cream) and enjoy!