CRUMBLE TIME! This was the first time I baked with my dad :). A crumble is simple to make and comforting to eat. The aromas that will fill your house while baking will blow your mind.
A FRUITY CRUMBLE IS A GREAT HEALTHIER DESSERT! It is loaded with berries, topped off with apple and rough oats (a good source of B vitamins and fibre), and does not contain dairy. To make the crumble glute-free, simply use gluten-free cookies.
Oatmeal Crumble with Apples, Berries and Cookies
Serves: 12 big pieces of crumble. Prep time: 40 to 60 minutes from start to finish.
Your favorite plain cookies (in my case, Bastogne cookies), 150g
Blueberries, frozen, 200g (de-frosting ahead of baking will decrease baking time)
Blackberries, frozen, 200g (de-frosting ahead of baking will decrease baking time)
Rough oats, 50g
Almond milk, 100ml
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Crush the cookies into rough crumbles using your fingers, or by placing the cookies in a plastic bag and then taking your day’s frustrations out on them with rolling pin.. 🙂
3. Place the cookie crumble in an oven dish and mix it up with the frozen berries. Press the whole mix into the oven dish so that it is evenly spread out.
4. In another bowl, mix the oats with almond milk and let stand for a few minutes. Then place a layer of soaked oats on top of the crumble mix in the oven dish.
5. Layer thin slices of apple on top.
6. Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes if berries were frozen, or 20 to 30 minutes if berries were defrosted. The crumble is done when the juices from the berries start bubbling, and the apples on top have softened and become golden/brown.
Serve warm or at room temperature, and enjoy!