Our kitchen drawers have been suffering from my increased interest in flavors, gluhwein, herbs and spices. Since about a year ago, they have been getting more and more (over) stuffed with various glass containers, metal cans and plastic bags of packaged seeds and aromatic spices, and of course: all the powdery, sticky mess that comes with it.
Fortunately, the world is full of inspiration, and so I came across a Belgian blog with an excellent DIY tip for organising spices – and immediately decided that I would do the same trick they used!
If you want to organise your herbs and spices you can do the same! You will need:
- washi tape (I thought an old-fashioned striped design was kitchen-y, you can go for any color/design you like!)
- pen or marker, and some imagination to write pretty (or in any case – legible) letters
- jam or spice containers made of glass, sealable (choose size, amount and form that will fit nicely into your drawer). I bought mine at Dille & Kamille (insider’s tip!, not sponsored). You should find nice ones at most home organisation/home accessories stores (Blokker, Xenos in The Netherlands).
How to make your own storage of herbs and spices:
- Prepare: Wash the glass containers with hot water and eco-friendly detergent. Let air-dry completely or dry really well with a kitchen towel.
- Label: write the name of the spice on the washi tape (drawing hearts and other trinkets is allowed!). Stick washi tape on top or on the side of the glass container.
- Transfer: using a teaspoon and some careful balancing, transfer the spices from their old packaging into your awesome new labelled glass containers!
I was super happy with the result! This small part of kitchen deco/organisation will help me enjoy cooking even more – and will help me to use all my wonderful spaces without forgetting about some of them just because they (used to be) stuck in a corner (that would be you, delicious piri-piri sauce!)
Looking good! 😀