This week’s Pumpkin Madness recipe (Pumpkin Madness is Ana’s Bananas October theme) is sage-infused butternut squash with organic bacon, green rocket salad and a bit of delicious pasta. It’s a comfort food recipe, easy to fix up on weeknights and enjoy leftovers for lunch the next day.
Butternut Squash & Bacon Pasta with Rocket Salad
Serves 2 for dinner + 2 leftover lunches. Prep time: 1 hour.
Onion, 1 large or 2 small
Garlic, 2 cloves
Bacon cubes, 150g, organic
Butternut Squash, 1 large
Rocket salad, 50g
Sage, 2-3 tsp
Cooking oil, 1 tbsp
Salt and pepper to taste
Organic olive oil, 2 tbsp or sour cream, 3 tbsp
Fusilli pasta, 100g dry weight + 1L boiling water
1. CUT BUTTERNUT SQUASH IN HALF, sprinkle with oil and sage. Bake for 40 minutes in an oven heated to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. COOK PASTA in boiling water according to instructions on the package (usually 8-10 minutes).
3. DICE ONION AND MINCE GARLIC. Fry bacon and onion in a skillet for a 5-7 minutes, then add garlic, stir for 2 minutes and take off heat.
4. DICE THE WARM SQUASH and add dices to the skillet (the squash will be very soft after baking, so you can easily cut through it with a knife and then spoon out the dices – btw, pumpkin peel is edible so no worries if you get some in the dish).
5. HEAT EVERYTHING AGAIN for 5 minutes, adding salt and pepper, and stirring well.
6. TAKE OFF HEAT, add pasta to the skillet, top off with rocket salad and olive oil/or sour cream. Serve and enjoy!
Benefits of this meal
❤ EASY TO MAKE, SEASONAL & AFFORDABLE
❤ DAIRY FREE, and can easily be made gluten free by replacing fusili pasta with 400 grams cannellini beans.
❤ RICH IN BETA-CAROTENES from butternut squash, important for healthy eyes and skin.
❤ RICH IN FIBER from butternut squash and rocket salad, important for healthy bowel micro-flora.
❤ LOW IN SALT and LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX, making it suitable for prevention of cardiovascular disease and diabetes prevention.